Thursday, July 11, 2013

Red Poppies

I'm really loving this new watercolor paper that I bought last week.  It's Fabriano hot press 140lb paper.  The colors mix well on the paper and easy to make lift paint off where I don't want it to be.
On this painting I started out with a 8 x 10 piece of watercolor paper.  Then I used watercolor pencils to do a contour drawing of the poppies and the buds.  The I colors I used were Alizarin, Transparent Orange, New Gamboge, FUB, Green Gold, and Sap Green.  I basically started dropping the Alizarin and the transparent orange.  Once I had the over all shape, I added more of the line work to define the buds.  The brushes I used were a round #12, # 4, and  #0.  Daniel Smith watercolors and Schmincke transparent orange.
I just love it when a painting comes together!

No comments: