Thursday, March 05, 2015

Daffodils

Today when I was out and about, I spotted daffodils at the local florist.  I decided to buy a bunch and come home and paint them.
 
I wet my watercolor paper first and then dropped in yellow watercolor for the bud.  For the stem I dropped in a mixture of greens and blues.  I let the paint dry before I went to my next step.  Once the surface was dry on my painting, I started to define the daffodil flower...adding more yellow and dropping in some oranges.  I kept on dropping in paint, letting it move around the surface to give the painting a defused look.
 
This painting was created on 6" x 6" watercolor paper, using water brushes filled with watercolor paint.
 
 
 

Recycled Hawk

I don't know about you, but I tend to go through a lot of watercolor paper that comes in watercolor pads.  I try to recycle the book board that's in the back of the pad, but I thought I do something with the front cover of the watercolor pad.  My solution was to glue two pieces of front cover together, white on the outside and pad design on the inside, hence, giving me a front and back to paint on.  Because the white side of the cover has texture, it adds to the look of the painting or drawing I've created.
 
With this found paper I plan to use for experimenting techniques trying new supplies without having to use good paper.
 
So with this painting I used water brushes filled with watercolor to create this scary looking Hawk.  I liked the way the texture of the paper enhanced the birds feathers.
 
 

Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Credit card trees

I made a new journal that measures 12" by 4.5" using 140lb watercolor paper.  I'm calling it my tree journal because that is all that I'll be painting in this journal.

For my first illustration, I used a credit card dipped in watercolor paint and scrapped out the trunk of the tree using the side of the credit card.  I had to run the credit card a couple of times to create the tree trunk making sure I left some white of the watercolor paper showing.  Once the tree trunks were dry, I then started to add the tree foliage. I made sure that the tree foliage  was dry before I started tweaking the painting.






Tuesday, March 03, 2015

A view of the ocean

 
You know when I start to paint ocean scenes from my imagination, it's time for me to go to the beach for a visit.  Hopefully, if we get nice weather this weekend that's where I'm heading.
 
 

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

How I spent Valentine's Day...

A day at the Santa Barbara Zoo.  I've been wanting to go to the Santa Barbara Zoo for a while now.  With the unbelievable sunny warm days,  Valentine's Day was the perfect time to go.

I took my art supplies and my husband took his camera.  While he took photo reference photos for me, I sat down to do some Plein Air painting.

Plein Air painting does not come naturally for me.  I'm always afraid that people will look over my shoulder and see my paintings and make some snide remark.  But this year I plan to change all that. 

Santa Barbara Zoo was a test run for me and the supplies I carried.  I took a hand made small journal that is 7"L x 4" wide.  When open I have a full page that measures 8" wide.  Because I wanted to keep the journal small and compact I only had 4 sheets of 140lb watercolor paper which gave me 16  half pages to complete.   My other supplies I took were: a water brush, paper towels, pencil, sharpie, 8 Faber-Castell watercolor pencils, eraser, and a set of 18 Daler-Rowney watercolour quarter pans.

My first painting was of elephants walking around and being fed.  I found a bench to sit at...that had a high wall in back of me.  This was perfect because I could paint without anybody looking over my shoulder.  Now the fun begins...juggling my supplies, my journal and water brush.  I initially started to drop paint in for the elephant, but was so frustrated with the watercolor set of paints I took (had to keep on referring back to my color chart).  Out of frustration I grabbed 3 watercolor pencils and did a quick sketch of the elephant and his surroundings.   Once I had a basic idea of how I wanted the painting to evolve I was able to mix and add watercolor to the painting.  I think I worked on this painting about 5 minutes.


 
Across the way was a Cockatoo.  After painting him, I went back to watch and paint the elephant being feed.
 
 
 
 
It was a good day at the Zoo.  Not only did I get to see all the lovely animals,  I got to spend the day with the love of my life.
 

Tomorrow I share more watercolors that I did at the zoo.

Friday, February 13, 2015

flower collages

 I recently discovered www.creativebug.com.   It's an online website where you can take classes for $9.99 a month.  Classes from watercolors, knitting, paper crafts, baking, sewing and much more.  They offer a free 14 day trial period where you can explore the classes.  So I signed up and took my first class with Lisa Congdon.  The class was Sketchbook explorations.  Exploring different tools and techniques to keep a sketchbook.  I really liked the way Lisa really simplified the use of tools and techniques. 

This is what I  worked on in my sketchbook.  Creating a collage border on the bottom of my sketchbook and then adding line drawings of flowers.  I added color to my flowers to complete the drawing.

I don't often do collages, but after seeing Lisa's videos I think I'll be adding more collages to my sketchbook in the future.


Sunday, February 08, 2015

Unfinished watercolor journals

I spent the weekend tackling those unfinished journal pages.  Like every artist, I have lots of journals that aren't complete.   I'm trying to be better about completing one journal before I start on a new one.  So that means I can happily shelve two complete journals.