Sunday, August 11, 2013

Today I canned apples!!!

 Yesterday while I was out shopping I bought my self an apple core peeler.  You've probably have seen them advertised on TV...while they really work well.

So today I canned Gala Apples from my own Gala Apple tree.  This is the first time I've ever canned anything.  It's rather easy, but there are a lot steps to follow.  I think the next time I can, I'll feel a little bit more confident.  Originally when my husband had brought inside about 4 large round bowls of apples, I thought I'd need a lot of canning jars.  So I bought some in various sizes.  I decide to go for the large jars first...thinking I'd have enough to fill the other jars.  Well you guessed it...I didn't need that many jars.  I was able to fill 7 large jars, with no waste.  Each jar took about 6 cups of sliced apples.



 
 
 
So here are the little beauties.  Now they just need to cool and then they get stored in my pantry waiting for winter to come to make apple pies.
 
I highly recommend going on Martha Stewarts website and look up canning.  That's where I found a video showing the steps to getting your jars ready for canning.

No comments: