Monday, April 23, 2012

I'm in love with Gouache Paint

Caran D'ache Gouache Studio 15 Pans
I'm in love with Caran D'ache  gouache paint I had bought when I was in England last October.  When I had gotten home from my trip, I had opened the box and looked at the paint but put off using them.  After reading a lot of  Roz Stendahls blog, 
http://rozwoundup.typepad.com/roz_wound_up,who use gouache in a lot of her work, I decided to test them out.  Boy was I pleasantly surprised.  The pigment was deep and rich without that chalky look that you can sometimes get with cheap gouache.  Not that this is a cheap box of gouache, because it's not.  I think when I bought them in the UK I spent about $50 dollars.  I'm happy to say I can buy refill tubes in the US at a decent price.

This morning I painted this collage of flowers using only the gouache paint.  I was very happy with the results and how well they performed on the watercolor paper.


I decided to make an accordion book which measures  6" x 19".  When folded, each accordion  measures 6" x 2.75".   I was amazed on how quickly painting 2.75" squares at a time could go so quickly.  


I'm happy that I finally used my gouache and will be experimenting with them a lot.  Also this accordion style book is something I'll be incorporating into my daily painting.























No comments: