Monday, July 09, 2007

Monet's Giverny Waterlillies


I think the best part about traveling is all the great photo references one can store up. I was going through my photos and I came across one of the many photo references that I took the last time I was at Giverny in France.
This piece was done on Stonehenge paper 9"x12" using Prismacolor colored pencils and then Daniel Smith watercolours.
I started this last night at midnight using just colored pencils. Sometime this afternoon I was getting frustrated with the drawing not coming together. So I brought out my watercolors and just started dropping watercolor over the colored pencil. I wasn't sure what the out come would be, but I found that by using the watercolor over the cp...the watercolor filled in the white specks of the paper that the colored pencil didn't cover. Then I was able to go back over the drawing with colored pencil to give the piece more dimension. If anything I learning about myself is that I'm getting more confident in trying new things with my art.

1 comment:

Brenda Yarborough said...

Wow, a very effective combination. You've really achieved a wonderful sense of depth beneath the leaves! Gorgeous colors too!!