Monday, July 30, 2007

Japanese Garden @ Butchard Garden, Victoria, Canada


Even though I didn't get to paint 31 landscape paintings for the month of July, I did paint!!!! Each piece got easier and I found I was using a lot of my watercolor tools that I've collected over the years.
This is from a photo of mine that I took last year in April at Butchard Gardens. April through September is the best time to really see this garden at it's best. Silly me bought a year pass thinking I'd be visiting the garden monthly, not knowing my life would move me further away from the garden. At least I have over a 100 photo references pictures to work from.
Painting landscapes really stretched me artistically. I found I had to figure out how to convey more without being a slave to a detailed sketch. I also found my hundred watercolor technique books helpful. If I got stuck I could usually find a solution in one of those books.

3 comments:

Brenda Yarborough said...

Gorgeous, deep pigments! Beautiful job!! We are going to Buchart Gardens for an evening tour while on the cruise - you've gotten me even more eager to see these gardens!!

Irena said...

Hi Brenda,

I know you'll enjoy the Gardens. Take lots of pictures and comfortable walking shoes. Also stock up on DS watercolor paints when you visit his storefront. The more tubes of paints you buy, I think 8 tubes, they usually throw in a few tubes of their newer colors. Have a wonderful time on your trip.

Claudia said...

...a very nice painting. I like the colours you have used.