Saturday, July 14, 2007

Landscape done in Chinese Brush painting "Love & Good Luck"


Today was my monthly Chinese brush painting class that I'm taking with Nan Rae in Burbank,California. www.nanrae.com
The lesson of the day was using black ink and creating a landscape painting. I've been putting off working with the black ink because I wanted to get another set of Chinese brushes that I would use only for my ink work. Anyway, using the ink was easy and found the whole process rather relaxing. I basically did a very thin line drawing in ink of the tress; then filled in some of the branches with ink and then with watercolour. I was amazed at how easy it was to make images of mountains with just the side of the brush. The paper I used was rather thin flower paper...it absorbs really well. Once the painting is dry I turned the painting over and on the back side I used a large hake brush and wet the whole backside. Then I came in with a very faint colour, which I spread on the entire back of the painting.
On the bottom right hand corner is my official Chinese Chop or Seal. The seal establishes the artist's identity and is used to authenticate the painting. So my seal is my first name translated phonetically with Chinese character representing each syllable.
So "Irene" translated means I= Love; rene= Good Luck;
So my artist identity is "Love & Good Luck." I just think having my own Chinese Chop/Seal is so cool.

1 comment:

Brenda Yarborough said...

This turned out SUPER!! What an amazing process. . . the faint strokes for the mountains is so effective, the wash and light pigment on the backside adds mood, the touch of watercolor for the trees. I agree, it is way cool to have a Chinese chop/seal, and how neat is Love and Good Luck!!