Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Meadow

This is a landscape from memory. I've been playing all day with my Derwent watercolor pencils on various papers, and I've come to the conclusion that the wc pencils are most effective on traditional watercolor paper 140lb or 300lb with a smooth surface.
This drawing was done on Lama Li paper. I didn't like the fact that the paper is rough and the watercolor pencil doesn't glide on when the pencil is dry or even when it's wet. I tried applying the wc pencil to a wet brush and then applying it to the paper. If the brush is too wet the Lama Li just soaks up the color and the paper itself starts to lift.
I have used Faber Castell watercolor pencils on 300lb paper and the pencils work with no problem. The color goes on smooth and when you take a brush to the wc pencil, it moves like traditional watercolor paint.
So If I do use watercolor pencils in the future, I'll stick to my Faber-Castell and 300lb watercolor paper.
Experimentation is good and that is what this whole blog is about.

1 comment:

Brenda Yarborough said...

Yes, experimentation IS good! Isn't it just wonderful that we have so many paper and tool choices? You've gotten such good intense color on these past several! I can see what you mean about the Lama li being too rough and absorbant for w/c pencils, but it sure is a dream with regular w/c!