Sunday, June 10, 2007

Chinese brush painting


I've finally recovered from my trip back east. My niece's wedding was a pleasant surprise. She looked beautiful and the groom, my first time meeting him, was rather nice. I can't remember a wedding that I've been too that I've had so much fun and enjoyed. Best part my time in Ohio was short and sweet. On Sunday I flew to Chicago to visit my girlfriend. The weather was a bit cooler than I expected and it rained. We spent the time doing some fun things. I participated in some dance classes...salsa and west coast swing is harder than it looks. I didn't realize I had two left feet. The Art Institute was amazing. Saw some interesting Picasso's and lots of oil paintings. I really was surprised at the extensive book selections in the Art Institutes's gift store. I bought a book on Chinese brush painting and it turns out that the author lives near Glendale and offers classes. So for the past few days I've been trying my hand at Chinese brush. I bought a couple of Chinese brushes and really don't like how they handle. You either have to work with a really dry brush or rice paper. I ended up using a regular watercolor brush to do this Peony using the techniques in the book I bought. I probably will sign up for one class to see if this is something I might like to get into.
And course shopping was great. Now that I have no more distractions I plan to get back into my art.

2 comments:

Brenda Yarborough said...

Welcome home! It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. There is a thread at WetCanvas about Asian Brush Art Painting, you can find it here
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218620&highlight=chinese+brush
You MAY have to be a subscriber (free) to access. It's a wonderful, and VERY extensive, online art site that I think you'd enjoy.
Glendale is definitely "doable" for a class!

Irena said...

Hi Brenda,

I always forget about wetcanvas, which I've been a member for since 2003. Get's a great community and have learned a lot.