Sunday, June 24, 2007

Lama Li watercolor paper


On Friday I got to meet Brenda of http://www.amberridgedesert.blogspot.com/
turns out that she only 6 miles from me. So we had an art date. We went out to lunch in Lancaster and then went to a local art association to see the new watercolor paintings. Afterwards we came back to my house for some show-in-tell. It is just so neat to be able to meet another artist that lives so close and that I can get together and paint and go on outings with.
Brenda had mentioned Lama Li watercolor paper and brought over her journal so I could see some of her paintings and feel the paper. I couldn't get over how nice the paper felt and was lucky enough to get a few pieces to try...Thank you Brenda! So yesterday morning I drew this Dalia lily and was amazed at how wonderful the paper took to the watercolor paint. I'm definitely sold on this paper and now am waiting for my order from Dick Blick. The only problem I can see with this paper is that you can't really scrub because the paper not only lifts the paint but the paper too. So I found just getting a clean brush with water,dabbing the area I want to lift the paint, and then using a paper towel to blot out the paint and that seems to work just fine.

5 comments:

Lin said...

WHAT FUN!! And you got to meet Bren, I am so jealous!!! Your lily is glorious!!!!!

Brenda Yarborough said...

Oh Irene! This is GORGEOUS!!! What excellent results you've gotten. I didn't love Lama Li the first time I used it, but by the second and third time I was pretty hooked. You are absolutely correct, it will only handle gentle lifting techniques! Can't wait to see what else you do with this stuff!!

Irena said...

Lin...thanks for looking....I was excited to meet Brenda too!

Brenda...I just love this paper...I'm starting on a magnolia flower...I'll post once I'm done.

caseytoussaint said...

Beautiful job on this, and I think it's wonderful that you two have been able to get together. Brenda a wonderful online friend - I'm sure it's even better to know her in person.

juj said...

This lily is gorgeous! And I love the way the color just sinks into that paper - it looks like velvet. My sweetie is the real watercolor painter in this house so I can see what I will be getting him for Christmas.