Monday, July 10, 2006

What I learned at colored pencil workshop

At the colored pencil workshop with Kristy Kutch, I got an overview of the different colored pencils on the market. Kristy demonstrated all the colored pencils
and tricks of applying to various paper surfaces. So on Saturday I drew a Calla Lily from memory with Faber-Castell polychromos.

On Sunday Kristy demonstrated water soluable pencils. Again applying water soluable pencils to various paper surfaces. I loved the quick and easy application of the water soluable pencils; again I'm with my favorite Faber-Castell 60 piece pak. I was amazed at the control I was able to achieve and how quickly I was able to develop my Showy Lady's slipper.

The one insight I got this weekend about myself was how confident I felt about drawing and using my material. I finally felt like I was in the "zone." Also because I've been doing art for a while, I'm now able to quickly work on a drawing or painting and finish in a short time, as apposed to taking weeks to complete a project.

I came away from this workshop happy and ready to get down to business and create more pieces.

No comments: