Saturday, April 16, 2011

Poppies and more



I don't think I'm tired of painting poppies.  Each painting seems to take it's own life.  I'm playing around with different size of watercolor paper, different brand of watercolor paint,different sizes of watercolor brushes, and finally drawing my image with a watercolor brush, instead of my usual H pencil.

What I've learned:  Watercolor cold press paper 140lb, 5 1/2 by 7 inch paper is the perfect size; I still love my Daniel Smith watercolors, but I also like using Dr. PH Martin watercolors.  As for the brush size, a # 8 round seems to be my favorite at the moment.   I've also have used 1/2 inch angle brush and a #6 flat brush.  I've also have been using those watercolor brushes that hold water,but I find I use way too much water; they are good for quick, small paintings, but for a little larger painting, I need a brush that can hold a lot of water and cover a large area.  I'm also trying to use larger brushes...from a 12 to a 36.

No comments: