Monday, April 18, 2011

Make it Graphic by Linda Blinn

 In my quest to learn something new, I've been buying and downloading DVDs from Interweave.  My latest DVD is "Make It Graphic" by Linda Blinn.

Linda shows you how to use stencils and silhouettes.  She tells you about paints, spray paints, ink pads, pre cut stencils, and finally how to make and cut your own stencils.

So with the information, decided to try to make my own stencil.  In the DVD she uses a plastic sheet made for creating your own stencils.  But before I start cutting my own stencil out of plastic, I thought I'd try doing a simple contour drawing of a tulip on heavy white card stock.  I repeated the pattern across the page.  I used my x-acto knife to cut around the tulip.  With my new stencil, I taped the stencil onto watercolor paper.  Then I used Adirondack acrylic paint dabbers to apply the paint.  I used green for the stem and leaves, and orange and yellow for the flower.  When I was finished I removed the stencil to reveal my new design.  It was an easy process and I'm surprised that I hadn't done this before.

No comments: