Saturday, December 30, 2006

Gladioli with leaves

Hard to believe that tomorrow is the last day of the year. I've been thinking about this past year and amazed at all the art work I've done. I feel more confident in my art, and I think it's about time I focus and make some goals for 2007. I have a few ideas and tonight will make a plan and post tomorrow.

Having a blog has helped me to stay on track and experiment with markers, artists pens, colored pencils, watercolors, graphite, different size of papers, and different journals..like a moleskin. I've even tried my hand at making a few art journals, that once I got the hang of it, they were pretty cool to make. Also I've been doing more sketching when I travel...my trip to Venice,Italy this past spring really took the fear of drawing in public away. People are so busy rushing by that they really don't pay attention to what I'm doing.

So for now...here is my lastest drawing done with Faber-Castell artist pens on 9.5" x 12" smooth bristol paper. The book I've been working through "Watercolor flower portraits" by Billy Showell has been a good incentive to think out of the box as far as art materials. Gladiolias are one of my favorite flowers, along with Peonies.

2 comments:

Brenda Yarborough said...

The diagonal line at the bottom of the leaves is very effective! Wonderful rich colors and lovely lights and darks. I've not been successful with FC Artist Pens and when I see your work, it makes me want to try them again!! Keep them coming. . . I sure like looking.

Irena said...

Hi Brenda,

Thank you for the nice comment about my work and glad you enjoyed the drawing. The more I use and play with my FC artist pens, the easier they are to manipulate and have become second nature for me. Using smooth bristol paper helps with the application. I have tried various papers and keep on coming back to the smooth bristol paper because it seems to withstand the many layers of the artist pens.