Sunday, January 18, 2015

New Projects for the New Year

Hello!  and "Happy New Year"!
 
I've been wanting to write this post since the beginning of the year, but I wanted to take care of  some health challenges that I was hit with back in November. 
 
 Back in November I had my annual Mammogram and got a call from my doctor telling me I needed to go in for a biopsy because an initial test suggest an area of tissue on both breasts wasn't normal.  So I had to see an oncologist first and then have the biopsy done.  Needless-to-say, this all happened a week before Thanksgiving.  So scheduling an appointment took some time.  It wasn't until a few days after Xmas I got my test results.  Thank God everything came back negative.  But from all the stress of waiting I got sick.  I'm finally starting to feel better.  
 
Over the holidays I started to explore Holbein watercolors and Holbein Gouache.  I've used Holbein watercolors in the past, mostly just Opera.  After taking a long look at some of the colors I decided to buy a few tubes that I thought would be great colors for flowers.  I was happy with the results and decided to buy a few more tubes of watercolor, along with gouache in the same colors.   It was during this buying spree I noticed that Holbein sells a Palm box watercolor set, but with a price tag of $500.00, I decided I didn't want to spend that kind of money.  It was by chance I was looking for something on E-bay that I came across the same set brand new for only $175.00.  While you know I had to have it.  It came all the way from Japan.  I spent an enjoyable afternoon playing with my new watercolor set.
 
 
 
 


The small watercolor above the Holbein watercolors is something
I created by cleaning my brush on the watercolor paper each time I changed color.  I think due to the lighting, the watercolors appear dull, but that was probably due to the lighting at the time of taking the photo.   I'm so use to using a smaller watercolor set, so it will be interesting to see how many colors I actually use.  If I find I'm not using all the colors I might take those out and put in some Holbein gouache.

New Projects




In my studio I do have a large set of Holbein gouache.  On January 1, I started to do a page a day only painting in gouache.  I happened to discover  http://www.augustwren.blogspot.com/   Jennifer Orkin Lewis just a few days ago who was doing exactly that.  One 30 minute painting a day in gouache.   So that's what I plan to do for a whole year.

Besides doing the painting a day, I will continue to explore different ways to use watercolors.


I also plan to re-open my Etsy shop selling prints of my watercolors  and also join Society6 to sell my artwork as art prints and more.  I like the fact that they produce and ship the products.

This year I'm also taking a watercolor workshop with Jean Haines http://www.watercolourswithlife.blogspot.com/ in April @ Daniel Smith in Seattle, Washington.  I probably will take other workshops and do some online classes.



So I'm hoping this year will be good and productive.




 

No comments: