Monday, February 18, 2008

Pink Tulip

In all the years I've been working with colored pencils I usually just do a line drawing and build up the values. So with this drawing I decided to do something different. I started with a line drawing and then did a grisaille in pencil, then added laying layers of colored pencil. I ran into some problems using this method. Using the grisaille, I probably made the dark areas to dark, so when I applied the colored pencil on top, it came out too dark and looks like mud. Also,using this method, trying to keep the light areas light became a problem. Since this was just a practice and learning piece, it made me see what I would have to do to work with this method. I probably would shade the dark areas with a lighter touch using pencil, then come in laying the various layers of colored pencils. Because I ran into some problems, I wasn't able to develop the various layers of the petals to make the drawing appear more 3 dimensional.

No comments: