Thursday, February 21, 2008

Jewelry by Irene...that's me!

Back in January I went with a friend that I met on WetCanvas to another friend of ours gallery showing in Ventura. We went early to walk around downtown...which had lots of interesting shops. One of the shops we went into was The Peruvian Bead Company http://www.peruvianbeadcompany.com/. The beads were so colorful that I bought some beads to make two pair of earrings.

After making the two pair of earrings...the pink ones and the aqua ones below the pink, I was bitten by the bug. Recently I found a bead shop in the town I live in and bought more glass beads to make earrings and a necklace. So last night I was up till midnight finishing the necklace. I thought it was really cool to find a leaf shape clasp to match the glass leaf in the middle of the necklace. The necklace is about 20" long.

I'm not sure why I was never interested in making jewelry before. The only problem I have with working with the beads is that I have long nails and it's a bit difficult to pick up the really small beads or spacers. Also I have arthritis in my hands, so working small is a little cumbersome. I also need to figure out a way to photograph my jewelry so anyone can see the detail much clearer.

No comments: