Saturday, August 06, 2011

Maddie quick study

Today I had a good day.  My husband was off so we went down to Pasadena for lunch and shopping.  My favorite art store--Dick Blick is located in Old Town in Pasadena.  It's a small store, carrying some art supplies, just enough eye candy to make a girl excited.

I bought a few tubes of Holbein designer gouche.  I rarely use gouche and after reading Cathy Johnson's new book Artist Journal workshop, I decided I would try using gouche, in addition to regular watercolor paints.  In the book Cathy mentions toned paper...never hearing that term, I did some research and discovered that it was heavy weight pastel paper.  I found Fabriano heavy weight Ingres cover paper in many colors.  So I bought an assortment of colors to try.

When I came home I thought I would use some of the Fabriano paper, along with my 140lb watercolor paper to hand bind a 6 x 6 watercolor journal.  While waiting for the glue to dry on the spine of the journal, I did a quick study of my puppy Maddie with a Faber-Castell Pitt artists pens.

So it was a good artist day for me.  Not only did I get a fabulous lunch, I also got lots of new art supplies!!!!
Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures


 Maddie waiting. 

No comments: