Sunday, August 23, 2009

Hand made art portfolio

I've been looking at art portfolio's to hold some of my art work that I've either finished or in process of completing. Most of the portfolio's I seen are your standard black covers and range in price from $15 to $50. So I thought I try making my own art portfolio in a size that would hold my 9" x 12" pieces.

Basically I cut down 2 pieces of illustration board to the size I wanted my portfolio . Then I picked out some really pretty Japanese hand made paper from Paper-Source. I applied the paper to the front of the illustration board with bookbinding glue. I sandwiched the boards between wax paper and then placed heavy books on top to allow the glue to set and my pieces dry flat. I let the glue set over night. Once the glue has completely dried, I turn over the piece and attach my ribbon on 3 sides. Next I apply board cloth in a matching color with glue and place the piece between wax paper to dry over night. Once the board cloth is dry, I applied 3" strips of board cloth tape to attach the two pieces together and apply inside the middle and the outside middle. Finally I sandwich the completed art portfolio between wax paper and put a ton of books on top and allow the glue to dry.

It might sound like it was labor intensive, but it wasn't. It was just a matter allowing the glue to dry between each steps.







No comments: