Sunday, October 21, 2007

Tiger WIP done in soft pastels

About 5 years ago I tried working in soft pastels, but the dust was a killer for me. After spending several hundred dollars on soft pastels, I inhaled pastel dust once too much, so I put them away figuring I'd donate them to some one.

Recently when I was looking through my art supplies I came across my different sets of soft pastels and pastel pencils. I thought I'd give working with soft pastels one more try, this time investing in a desk easel so the pastel dust could just fall to the bottom of the drawing instead of me blowing it away.

I love my new desk easel and I think I'm finally going to be able work in soft pastels without inhaling the pastel dust. I found this easel at Swains in Glendale and it was on sale for $44.00...what a deal. When not using the easel, the top folds down and is held in place with buckles that snap in place. There is also a nice size drawer to hold supplies.

So here is another WIP of a Tiger done on 8.5 x 11.5 Fabraino pastel paper using Faber-Castell pastel pencils. So far I've just started to block in the main colors. Total time working about 1 hour.

No comments: