Monday, February 25, 2008

tulip in crayon

I've been seeing a lot of artist do art work using crayon...the kind of crayon we used as kids. So this weekend I decided I would give it a try. I bought myself a 64 color pack of crayons. I first sketched out just a line drawing of a tulip. Then I proceeded to color each petal, added the shading,and finally the background.

What I learned...Wax build up was a problem. I had to use a piece of card board to scrap off the wax that did not blend into the petal. I must of put at least 10 layers to get a value variation. Using crayons I had to use a lot of pressure when applying the crayon to the paper causing my fingers to hurt.

As I was coloring I kept on wondering if I used just plain newsprint paper if the crayon would go on easier and if I'd get less wax build up?

Finally...would I use crayon again? Probably not. It was an interesting experiment, so for now the crayons go back in the box!

No comments: