Monday, September 10, 2007

Chinese Brush paintings

On Saturday I took my once a month Chinese Brush painting class. Focus of the class was magnolias and birds. On the painting with the bird, the class was just focusing on drawing an outline of a magnolia to get the feeling and volume of the magnolia. The bird on the branch was an embellishment that the teacher showed us how to add afterwards.

On the second painting...this was done on really pale green paper using white paint for the bud of the magnolia and then adding detail with the green paint and a rather water down brush of paint.

I found working on these two painting was very Zen and relaxing.



5 comments:

Teri said...

These are both gorgeous! Your class sounds wonderful. Okay, I am jealous as Chinese brush painting has always seemed so interesting but I have never seen a class in my area.

Irena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Irena said...

Hi Teri,

Thanks for the compliment. I really love going to my Chinese brush painting class. I was rather lucky to have found my teacher via The Chicago Institue Bookstore when I was in Chicago back in May. My teacher Nan Rae has a wonderful website where one can purchase her book,brushes,paper,and anything else related to Chinese Painting. The brushes she sells really make a difference in getting the strokes down...the brushes hold their point really well. Her website: www.nanrae.com

mrana said...

Wow your brush paintings are beautiful, and the bird paintings are gorgeously vibrant, so nice!

Irena said...

mrana...glad you enjoyed looking at my bird paintings. I never knew how colorful birds could be. Painting them makes one really look at every detail.